Books, articles, papers
See also: Archives
Books Read in 2017
Anand, Bharat. The Content Trap: A Strategist’s Guide to Digital Change. Random House, 2016.
Charles River Editors. Legendary Scientists: The Life and Legacy of Galileo Galilei. Charles River Editors, 2013.
Choudary, Sangeet Paul, et al. Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy–and How to Make Them Work for You. W. W. Norton & Company, 2016.
Covey, Stephen R. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change. RosettaBooks, 2013.
Duckworth, Angela. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. 1 edition, Scribner, 2016.
Dweck, Carol S. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. Reprint, Updated edition, Random House, 2006.
Freedman, Harry. The Murderous History of Bible Translations: Power, Conflict, and the Quest for Meaning. Bloomsbury Press, 2016.
Freeland, Chrystia. Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else. Penguin Books, 2012.
Gladwell, Malcolm. Outliers: The Story of Success. 1 edition, Little, Brown and Company, 2008.
Goleman, Daniel, et al. Primal Leadership, With a New Preface by the Authors: Unleashing the Power of Emotional Intelligence. Harvard Business Review Press, 2013.
Gonzales, Justo L. Christian Thought Revisited: Three Types of Theology. Abingdon Press, 1989.
Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Media Tie-In edition, Simon & Schuster, 2006.
Hellerman, Joseph. Embracing Shared Ministry: Power and Status in the Early Church and Why It Matters Today. Kregel Ministry, 2013.
Holiday, Ryan. The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph. 1 edition, Portfolio, 2014.
Huntford, Roland. The Last Place on Earth: Scott and Amundsen’s Race to the South Pole, Revised and Updated. Highlighting edition, Modern Library, 1999.
Ismail, Salim, et al. Exponential Organizations: Why New Organizations Are Ten Times Better, Faster, and Cheaper than Yours. Diversion Books, 2014.
Metaxas, Eric. Martin Luther: The Man Who Rediscovered God and Changed the World. Viking, 2017.
Newport, Cal. Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World. Grand Central Publishing, 2016.
Northup, Solomon. Twelve Years a Slave Narrative of Solomon Northup, a Citizen of New-York, Kidnapped in Washington City in 1841, and Rescued in 1853, from a Cotton Plantation near the Red River in Louisiana. 1853. Project Gutenberg.
Ortberg, John. Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You. Zondervan, 2014.
Owen, John. The Mortification of Sin. GLH Publishing, 2014.
Pittampalli, Al. Persuadable: How Great Leaders Change Their Minds to Change the World. HarperBusiness, 2016.
Pressfield, Steven. The War of Art. Edited by Shawn Coyne, Black Irish Entertainment LLC, 2011.
Ripken, Nik. The Insanity of Obedience: Walking with Jesus in Tough Places. B&H Publishing Group, 2013.
Sanneh, Lamin. Whose Religion Is Christianity?: The Gospel beyond the West. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2003.
Senge, Peter M. The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization. Revised & Updated edition, Crown Business, 2010.
Strauch, Alexander. Biblical Eldership Booklet: Restoring the Eldership to Its Rightful Place in the Church. Lewis & Roth Publishers, 1997.
Tapscott, Don, and Alex Tapscott. Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World. Portfolio, 2016.
Vance, Ashlee. Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future. Reprint edition, Ecco, 2015.
Warner, Marcus, and Jim Wilder. Rare Leadership: 4 Uncommon Habits For Increasing Trust, Joy, and Engagement in the People You Lead. Moody Publishers, 2016.
Weatherford, Jack. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. Broadway Books, 2005.
Wells, David F. The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-Lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2008.
Articles Read in 2017
- Great Innovators Create the Future, Manage the Present, and Selectively Forget the Past
- In China, a Three-Digit Score Could Dictate Your Place in Society
- Collective Impact (SSIR)
- The Little Black Box That Took Over Piracy
- Don’t Build a Startup, Build a Movement – The Startup – Medium
- The Flawed System Behind the Krack Wi-Fi Meltdown
- Copyrights and Copying: Why The Laws Should Be Changed
- The Village Church Transition: Ushering in the End of the Megachurch Era? – ChurchLeaders.com
- This Top CEO Threatened to Fire Employees Who Traded Bitcoin. Here’s Why That’s Terrible Leadership
- Why I Tell All Of My Entrepreneur Friends To Write–And What Happens To The Ones That Listen
- All the reasons you should be absolutely furious at Equifax–and the entire credit bureau industry
- Chinese children crush Americans in math thanks to a mindset Americans only display in one place: sports
- WhatsApp’s Cofounder On How It Reached 1.3 Billion Users Without Losing Its Focus
- What It Takes to Hold Your Breath for 24 Minutes (Yeah, It’s a Thing)
- Sorry, Banning ‘Killer Robots’ Just Isn’t Practical
- 3 Common Mindsets That Successful Leaders Share, According to a Survey of 300 Top Executives
- Thoughts on BAT and ads
- How blockchain technology will revolutionize advertising - Chief Marketing Technologist
- Watch a Pod Race Through the Hyperloop for the First Time Ever
- Ignaz Semmelweis had blood on his hands – Seth Godin – Medium
- Reading Wars - Philip Yancey
- George Church ascribes his visionary ideas to narcolepsy
- Obsessed: Bullet Journals
- Blockchain: the revolution we’re not ready for – freeCodeCamp
- 7 Ways to Write Better Action Items – Thrive Global
- ‘Anumeric’ People: What Happens When A Language Has No Words For Numbers?
- The 50/50 Myth
- Francis Chan Goes Into Detail With Facebook Employees on Why He Left His Megachurch
- ‘Rabbit Churches’ Are Popping Up All Over Uganda
- The Wrong Kind of Entrepreneurs Flourish in America
- The Amazon–Whole Foods Deal Means Every Other Retailer’s Three-Year Plan Is Obsolete
- The slow death of the electric guitar
- How You Define the Problem Determines Whether You Solve It
- Why Worldwide Bible Translation Grows Exponentially
- Chinese Satellite Relays a Quantum Signal Between Cities – WIRED
- A blockchain explanation your parents could understand
- Open Source Survey
- This is why class valedictorians don’t become millionaires
- Thoughts on Tokens – Balaji S. Srinivasan – Medium
- 6 Rules To Live By When You Work In An Office But Have Remote Team Members
- How the Most Successful Leaders Will Thrive in an Exponential World
- Linguistics Breakthrough Heralds Machine Translation for Thousands of Rare Languages - MIT Technology Review
- Ideas for Work
- How Deep Work Can Change Your Life Forever
- Why We’re All Better Than Average
- How Google Book Search Got Lost – Backchannel
- Will Blockchain Technology be the Ultimate Disruptor? Harvard Says Yes!
- Here’s How Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Makes Great Decisions, Super Fast
- The Brutal Truth About Getting Publicity That No One Wants to Hear
- Why Leaders Should View Themselves as Servants
- Muslim converts breathe new life into Europe’s struggling Christian churches
- Why Becoming A Leader Makes Some People More Unethical
- Cheap Church: Bi-vocational Living
- Want to Be a Successful Leader? Make This a Top Priority (Most Don’t Even Bother)
- Edward Snowden’s New Job: Protecting Reporters From Spies
- Why the Best Innovators Ask the Most Beautiful Questions
- Finding a voice
- Why ‘The Bible Says So’ Is Not Enough Anymore
- Quiver 3: A Notebook That Adapts to How You Work
- All Our Patent Are Belong To You
- 5 books the head of MIT Media Lab thinks you should read
- Op-ed: I’m giving up on PGP
- The Motivating Power of a Massive Transformative Purpose
- Taking Dissent Seriously is Harder Than It Looks - Don Peppers
- Why The 8-Hour Workday Doesn’t Work
- Humanitarians must innovate more
- Kenya is about to close the largest refugee camp in the world
- Inside OpenAI, Elon Musk’s Wild Plan to Set Artificial Intelligence Free
- You Pay to Read Research You Fund. That’s Ludicrous
- What Made These Amazing Companies So Disruptive? They All Built Platforms - Singularity HUB
- Why Wall Street Is Embracing the Blockchain–Its Biggest Threat
- Facebook Changes Its ‘Move Fast and Break Things’ Motto
- I Want Amazon Bookstores - The Wayfinder - Hugh C. Howey
- Clever New GitHub Tool Lets Coders Build Software Like Bridges
- 100 Statements in Scripture Describing Who You Are in Christ
- The MP3: A History Of Innovation And Betrayal
- The resolution of the Bitcoin experiment
- In Silicon Valley Now, It’s Almost Always Winner Takes All - The New Yorker
- How Medium is breaking Washington’s op-ed habit
- The 40% Rule: A Navy SEAL’s Secret to Mental Toughness
- Only 8% of Leaders Are Good at Both Strategy and Execution
- Open Source Software Went Nuclear This Year
- 131 Actionable Ideas from Ten Books I Wish I Had Read Ages Ago – Life Learning
- Elon Musk’s Billion-Dollar AI Plan Is About Far More Than Saving the World
- First, Let’s Fire All the Managers
- Why Some Teams Are Smarter Than Others
- How to choose a model of self-organization that works for you
- 3 Ways Exponential Technologies Are Impacting the Future of Learning - Singularity HUB
- 22 Ways to Dramatically Increase Your Influence
- Embracing Complexity
- Your Innovation Team Shouldn’t Run Like a Well-Oiled Machine
- Could Rubric-Based Grading Be the Assessment of the Future?
- Empathy Is Still Lacking in the Leaders Who Need It Most
- Close Calls Are Near Disasters, Not Lucky Breaks
- The New Rules Of Leadership - Forbes
- Fixed vs. Growth: The Two Basic Mindsets That Shape Our Lives
- How to be More Productive by Using the “Eisenhower Box”
- 7 Behaviors of High Capacity Leaders
- Why You Do Your Best Thinking In The Shower: Creativity & the “Incubation Period”
- Work-life balance is dead
- 10 Secrets to Getting 90% of Your Work Done Before Noon
- The Simple Secret to Having a Clear Mind and Being Totally Present
- Exponential Organizations Are The Future Of Global Business And Innovation
- Prevent Your Star Performers from Losing Passion for Their Work
- Co-Mission: The Sharing Economy & The Mission World – Evangelical Missions Quarterly
- How HTML5 will kill the native app – VentureBeat